Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Of public speaking and debate...



Thurs 1 May 2008 (Labour Day) - Hurray, it's a holiday - thank God for small mercies!

The topmost picture is that of Emily Uma from Form 5K2. Emily did the school MGSS proud by emerging as the runner-up in the State-level Public Speaking Competition that was held on the 22 Apr at Mahkota Parade. Right from the moment I asked Emily to represent the school for public speaking at the Tanjong Zone level (she was runner-up), she agreed almost immediately and was BRIMMING with enthusiasm with lots of ideas as to what she wanted to say for her prepared speech. Congrats Emily and thank you for neither letting me nor the school down!

For the 2nd consecutive year, MGSS played host for the State-level Parliamentary Style English Language Debate (28 - 30 Apr). MGSS was represented by (top 2nd picture from left) Cristal Tan, Shahirah and Noelle Tan. On the final day (30 Apr), when MGSS met St. David, the panel of adjudicators [3rd picture, from left - Indera (ex-principal of Cannossa Convent) , Noora (PPD Jasin), Noor Lena (PPD Melaka Tengah), Sheela (UiTM Alor Gajah) and Loh Wen Khin (ex-JPM, now director of Edu-Excel)] declared St. David as the (deserving) state champ. I heaved a sigh of relief when the 3-day intense competition was over. I must thank the MGSS staff for helping me to run the debate - I couldn't have done it alone without them. Congratulations and thanks too to the MGSS debating team managers, Lim Chow Khoon and Rajendran, who poured heart and soul (and money for Pizza Hut) into the training of the debaters. Better result next year!
Happy Labour Day!

2 Comments:

Blogger Jasmine said...

Hi Mdm. Lim,
First and for most, I would like to say thank you very much for your guidance in hosting the State-level Parliamentary Style English Language Debate 2008. Mdm Lim-as the Technical Chairman of the organizing committee, your leadership is well recognized by each and every teachers who fall under this committee as I have heard good comments from everyone. It wouldn't have achieve this success without your hard work. Also, thank you for giving us the chance to learn and gain experience. Now, you can finally take a break from the weary schedule and have a day off as i knew that you are totally drained after the event. So, Happy Labour Day to you and not to forget, thank you for the McDonald's treat.

April 30, 2008 at 8:15 PM  
Blogger Lim Ai Ling said...

Lim Ai Ling said...
Dear Jasmine,
Thank u for your kind comments and encouragement. Sometimes I wonder why I do this debate year after year when it is the most taxing of all the English competitions - I have to come up with the debate topics from district to state level, and also look for so many judges! I get complaints re topics, judges, etc. but I just do my best, can't please everyone. Roslan from JPM has hinted broadly that I should pass the baton to someone else, otherwise when I leave the service, there'll be no one who can do my job. What to do... getting old-lah!

May 2, 2008 at 4:43 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home